Axalta donates €50,000 to STEM
Axalta, a global supplier of liquid and powder coatings, has donated a total of €50,000 to support Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) or environmental stewardship causes across Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA), thanks to an employee initiative called “Axalta in Motion”.
“Axalta in Motion” took place in September 2019 and challenged EMEAemployees to take as many steps as possible in a 24-hour period, both at home and at work. Local activities promoted teamwork and increased the step count.
Once the first annual challenge was completed, five Axalta countries in EMEA were selected at random to donate €10,000 each, as well as to volunteer time, to an organisation nominated by employees. The countries and organisations are:
- Belgium: Natuurpunt is an independent voluntary association that provides protection for vulnerable and endangered nature in Flanders
- Germany: Nabu NRW is an organisation of volunteers committed to full-time nature conservation work in the North Rhine-Westphalia region
- Italy: WWF is an independent international organisation dedicated to the defence of nature and the environment
- Switzerland: Pro Natura Basel supports projects that safeguard valuable protected landscapes in Basel and the surrounding region
- UK: Queen Mary’s Grammar School, Walsall, which is part of a multi-academy trust called The Mercian Trust and which supports students in the STEM subjects
Yves Kerstens, Axalta’s vice president and president for EMEA, said: “Axalta supports environmental stewardship programmes around the globe to promote clean water and air and to protect habitats, so we are delighted to contribute to these five organisations, who are aligned with our ethos of conservation and sustainability. Lending our assistance to an educational body whose key focus is STEM subjects is also vital to Axalta because it is science and technology that drive our innovation and manufacturing platforms.”